SWIM LOG

RUN LOG

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

SAVE THE CHEERLEADER, SAVE THE WORLD!



How time flies. I remember like it was yesterday. While we were working on some things for MultiCenter in the now defunct Powerbooks that used to be on Pasay Road, Jo casually mentions to me "Hey you might wanna try working in a preschool". And that moment was when it all started.... not just a career but (dare I say it??) a calling.

If you are a regular Heroes viewer, you'd understand the title right away. If not, sorry I don't have time to explain now, but just ask your friendly neighborhood Heroes fan to tell you the significance of saving the cheerleader. This was exactly that, my save the cheerleader moment. Imagine, at that particular point in time I said yes.... it changed EVERYTHING.

Fast forward to 2007. It's been SEVEN, yes SEVEN years and counting and these are the people who were there to witness the beginnings of the start of my so-called career. And we're all still at it (well except Anna who I think, still secretly wants to get back to teaching someday hehe) albeit in different settings now, in different parts of the world, but I can still sense the very same enthusiasm when I met them in 2000.

I'm just amazed actually with how far we've all gone. And what's nice is that when we talk about our kids, its like we have our own secret language you know? The way our eyes light up at the funny stories as well as the challenging and harassing moments of being a teacher. Even if we see each other every few months/years or so, its like not a day has passed and we still can talk as easily as when we were still in ELC.

And we're definitely not "square" that all we ever talk about is work.... if you knew all the secret back stories that I know....I'd have to kill you. We all have very interesting lives OUTSIDE of work, mind you hahahaha. BELIEVE ME.

The question "name a person you know who really really loves their job" applies to all in the picture above. I've been asked many countless times why I like teaching and being in a pre school... call me naive but I'd like to think I'm doing something worthwhile even in my own little space in the world. And somehow I think my friends think the same too.

And for that, Hiro Nakamura and I are really on the same wavelength.... YATTAAAA!

No comments:

! REACH FOR THE STARS !

I started this blog months ago to write about things I like, and in no particular order, my top 4 are food, travel, people, and sports.

My entries can be a mix and match of all four, so hope you do enjoy!