SWIM LOG

RUN LOG

Sunday, March 02, 2008

2008 CONDURA RACE FOR TUBBATAHA



This I wrote yesterday as soon as I got home...but being DEAD tired, I failed to post it hehe.... here's what happened yesterday...

Thanks to A for the pic!

********************


Have been awake for close to 20 hours already and badly need sleep, but can't let the day pass without writing about it because I really want to capture today's events and more importantly, how it felt... so here goes...

4:30am
Woke up to the sound of my phone alarm as I had to get ready for the Condura Tubbataha Race in Fort Bonifacio. Didn't really sleep well I was (as usual) excited and still wired up the night before, which made it all the more harder to sleep early. First order of business was to text Team T2 for a wake up call. I actually prepared all my stuff the night before, what to wear (check), gear and change of clothes (check), race number (check), water belt and Gatorade (check), Polar and Road ID (check) and I'm ready to go. Went to pick up KR a little earlier than promised although it was good too as we had a senior moment that entailed going back for a race number and was well on our way to the B1 meeting area by 5:20am.

5:40am
At the B1 parking area, met up with BA, and M and V came shortly after. BE and H we met at the starting line, which was kinda packed and it helped that there was a band that added to the festive mood. A little before we had ourselves checked in, BA was talking about setting a goal that day, with the condition of rewarding herself with a Timex watch if she broke her the 1 hour and 5 minute barrier. With all of us being game about it, I decided I wanted in on this cause and steeled myself to keep up the pace no matter what.

6:00 am
Race starts promptly (thank God). Started off with BE close to the starting line and this is where it gets interesting. My first km was a haze as the pack was tempting and had to hold myself back to not get carried away by the pace of those around me. Good thing M, V and BA caught up with me and as we reached the Benz showroom, we were all shoulder to shoulder in going up the flyover. I really felt good as we were going up the Buendia flyover and actually stayed strong throughout the rolling hills. Had a lot of fun too with what I call falling forward running when we reached the downward slopes.

6:30 am
Reached the turnaround point (Malugay street) without any incident although was feeling the strain but could still keep up. Was breathing a bit heavier than usual but my heart rate wasn't maxxed out, which meant I could still handle the pace. Saw A as we approached the flyover and was glad to final have a flyover picture (hopefully) as I think we surprised her as we almost passed her before she recognized us.

6:55 am
Now to the home stretch. After we went down the flyover, BA began to go on overdrive and I was like "uh oh" crunch time. As I reached the long stretch of road going back to the NBC tent, I was basically thinking "what else have I got to lose!?!?" and decided to up the pace. At the last few meters it was all or nothing. Seeing the clock turn 1:00 was disappointing as I really wanted to do a sub hour, and so this was my defining moment. Went on an all out sprint and mentally held on and scolded myself for slacking off earlier. The seconds were ticking by and all I could think about was reaching the finish line before 1 hour and 1 minute. 40 secs, 50 secs, at 1 hour and 55 seconds I had to do something! So digging down I ran as fast as I could and reached the line at exactly 1 hour and 1 minute flat! A new PR record!!!! YAHOOOOOO! I was ecstatic! Now I know what the phrase "runners high" really feels like...

I can't wait for our next run.

(We all set a new Personal Record today! Woohoo!)

*edit

V sent the race results!!! My time for the run was actually 1 hour and 58 seconds!!
271st place out of 478 runners.

Good race everyone!

PS. RACE REVIEW

The Condura Run for Tubbataha (I felt) was very well organized. My only comment is for them to enlarge the race check in area as it really was a squeeze being there. But otherwise, the water was a-plenty and in plastic bottles (!!! so different from the plastic cups I'm used to hahaha)and the security and marshalls were really looking out for the runners. With the designated lane for the runners and enough police at the busy intersections, it really made a difference in making runners feel safe being out in the street. And the swag!!! =) It was nice getting a re-usable bag with the cute sea turtle on it, 1 small can of Corned Beef, 2 juice boxes, and more water. The t-shirt was cute although as usual, free size, which means one more shirt to add to my sleep wear (yes it's that big). And they came out with race results the day after the race!!! Winner ka talaga Mr. Biscocho! I give 5 out of 5 stars to the Condura Race for Tubbataha.

No comments:

! REACH FOR THE STARS !

I started this blog months ago to write about things I like, and in no particular order, my top 4 are food, travel, people, and sports.

My entries can be a mix and match of all four, so hope you do enjoy!