SWIM LOG

RUN LOG

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

HOW IT ALL STARTED

Looking back, it was that one uneventful night in Italianni's Fort which marked the day the running bug got me. I was with two friends, sitting on that outside booth by the door and just hanging out, minding my own bread and olive oil-herb mixture when I saw BananaRunning ans MyIronShoes pass by in their running gear.

Curiosity got the better of me so I quickly rang up MyIronshoes and said "Hey I see ya!!! What are you doing in Fort in your running gear?" and she went on to tell me that she had a PLAN and it entailed running. Since she knew I used to be bike, run and swim a lot, she invited me to come and join them on weeknights.

I didn't run that very same day, but that thought was planted, and it germinated and it grew and quickly mushroomed and ballooned into a MARATHON DREAM.

It started innocently enough, with me going to work the next day, running a few days in a week, balancing badminton with running. Then I found more and more running buddies as the days went by, simply because I talk a lot about things I like and if you even show the remotest inkling of interest I would then proceed to coerce you into trying it out. So I coerced people to try running. And then I chose, to focus on running and let badminton lie low for a while...I mean I gave it a few years... why not try soemthing new right?

I found B and revived her passion for running (which waned significantly when her group didn't run regularly anymore) and introduced her to my runner friends My IronShoes and BananaRunning, and also to converted badminton-now-runner friends Keti and Xt. And then H also happens to mention he wants to try it and soon enough, despite being the only token male amidst makukulit and matigas na ulo females, T2 is formed. Then there's A who always manages to disappear in the middle of the run to find herself lounging around in someone's backseat to rest and cheer us on, or take pictures of us during races.

I think everything really gelled together when we went on our 21K in Subic. That cemented T2 and the rest, as they say, is history.

We're setting our sights on doing a full marathon this December (others in Singapore, me doing a simulcast at home).

So you see, it only takes an idea to power a dream, this one being the full marathon. Finding friends to share it with just makes it easier to reach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww... memories..
food and running is really a what brought as all together, ano?
you with your bread and olive oil/herb dip, and us passing by in our running gear... bwahaha.
T2 Takaw Takbo how appropriate.

Gene Ordanza said...

Hi Runtintin,

Found your blog from both ironshoes and BR. Been meaning to comment here, but never got around to it. So ito pala secret history ng T2, mukhang dami ng races and other stuff pinagdaanan ng T2 gang :-) More power!

! REACH FOR THE STARS !

I started this blog months ago to write about things I like, and in no particular order, my top 4 are food, travel, people, and sports.

My entries can be a mix and match of all four, so hope you do enjoy!